Sunday, July 8, 2007

Immolation

Ok, I've posted to the MWBs a few times about burn barrels and such. Instead of just summing everything up I'll just copy the messages over here.

spiteridden wrote:

Hey all,
Our camp this year is considering having a burn barrel or two for warmth, added light and other goodness at night. I know many of you made some for IF a year back - I was wondering where they were purchased? What cost should I expect, how heavy are they? I'm pretty much a blank slate as far as steel barrels go.

Secondly, we have a "Fire Effect" which we plan to put on display this year. The ATF would call it a flamethrower - it's capable of about 20-40 foot sustained flame and is completely portable. I used all my creative juices just making the damn thing, I have no idea how to showcase it. Does anyone have any funky ideas as to a show/scene we could create out on the greater playa?

-harry

-----------------------------------------------

Sup Harry!
Ranger Danarchy got a bunch of the 50 gal steel oil drums from his Fort Leavenworth Army Base back in '04 I believe. I'm not sure if he had to pay for them or what the price was. He's since moved back to Minnesota. Kathleen also picked some up for us. Kathleen, where did you get yours?

We cut the tops off the drums at HullabalU 06 and InterFuse 07. I don't know the exact weight. Maybe 20-30 lbs?? One person can heft the barrels and of course they become lighter when you cut designs in them.

Jimbo does beautiful burn barrel art and brings it to InterFuse and BM too I believe. I've cced this to him in case he knows where to get barrels and prices.

The BM LLC is going to want you to have them on burn platforms so you don't leave a burn scar on the playa.

BTW folks, Harry's crew is a themecamp from Lawrence that we didn't even know about till now.
--Zay

-----------------------------------------------

Weldboy wrote
"The LLC has past a new rule this year. You can only light your burn barrels from 1pm to 6pm. That means they will be useless for warmth or light but who cares as long as you're burning something."

i am not sure what event or LLC you are referring to but that is not true. fire is allowed at all times baring high winds at burning man!

the green theme means we are trying to be more thoughtful of our burning and its effects and taking steps to burn recycled wood and wood that had to be cleared post forest fire.
i look at this year like a light cigarette all the great burning taste but half the tar and nicotine

Dave X

p.s I have included the guidelines fore fire and open flame in Them Camps.

-----------------------------------------------

Dave X is the "fire effect supervisor" at Burning Man Org, so I take his word as law. Zay said he'd check with the people currently storing the burn barrels for interfuse - we may be able to snag a couple from them without having to dish out any money.

Oh yeah, I encourage anyone to join the MWBs mailing list and group. www.midwestburners.com.

2 comments:

Jyesika said...

I don't get their website... I don't see any info about getting out to Burning Man. Regional stuff is cool, but I would like to read their ideas and advice for getting there and back.

harry said...

oh, they have very little info on getting there and back. As far as I can tell out of the 200 or so MWB's only a handful are current burners.

The thing about their mailing list is - there's a wealth of veteran burners from around the world who subscribe to it. asking a question usually gets a response. Just the info is typically scattered through 5-10 emotional arguments about why companies at BM are bad. It's a forum, whatcha gonna do.