Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Getting There

Ok, I definitely want to fly this year. I'm going to have difficulty getting as much time off as I really wanted I feel. (due to my premonition that I'll take a day or two off for a concert in mid june)

However, I'm more than happy to help with my share of gasoline. I'll have the same crap as last year, just lighter and no mattress. I'm thinking that if we do bring the flame thrower it'll be modified to run off of C02/propane or just something more portable than the air compressor.

So, flying into Reno and taking in the "Bio Bus" sounds like my cup of tea. I wouldn't be objected to driving HOME if we want to do some "rent a giant Ryder and have everyone else fly - bio bus in" strategy. I feel this way because the cost of flying no longer really means as much to me and my time off feels much more valuable. I don't really want to spend two of my full day's off driving only to arrive on the playa exhausted and exhilarated. I'd rather blow 500$ in Reno then go to Burning Man refreshed, showered and ready to get dusty.

I know Bicho mentioned a similar plan. Is this a common theme or is there talk of driving again?

5 comments:

Blythe said...

I think we'll probably drive to Reno from Denver, since it's only 15hrs or so. Maybe spend a night or two in Reno, depending on my leave, and be well rested.

Bob said...

and I'll be driving to Denver, to break into their house while they are heading to reno! MUAHAHAHAH

Jyesika said...

I agree, we obviously will need somebody to drive something out and back in order to have domes and stuff... but if we split the driving b/t 4 people that would be good for every bodies tired level. I for one would want to drive there, and would want to stop off at the house of Bicho/Shana on the way there. Provided they are there of course... it'd make a good break.
However, another thought just occured to me, what if we brought out everything long term to Colorado (Domes, plywood furniture) prior to the trip... if Shana and Bicho want to drive anyway. I want to go skiing and visiting before then anyway and taking it out in trips would be far less stressful. this would mean we could fly out and back... which would be so absolutely awesome.
This depends on the Blythe's storage space at their new home (do you have a garage that can store the domes etc?) and their willingness to drag the domes out there. Obviously we all benefit from our glorious dome structures, but I wouldn't want to impose on their time off either.
So, how do you feel about that Bicho/Shana? And everyone else?

Oh, also, I'm volunteering to make everyone terrorist costumes... b/c i think it would be fabulous fun and well suited to the theme. It'd be hilarious to have a terrorist bar day. For the ladies I was going to pone Blythe's excellent idea of a full burka. I think it's appropriate desert ware. And for the boys something similar to Bob's Halloween costume. And a little Fremen.

Jyesika said...

Obviously, if the bicho/shana drive out with trailer were to happen, we'd all put in the the cost of the gas and trailer. Just wanted to clarify. And this time we should collect the $ before we go out there, so we don't end up with all those unnecessary computations at the end, and so nobody has to carry the balance.

Jyesika said...

I knew I should have condensed this into a post, alas.

who all has tickets currently? Who thinks they might come? Shana, whats you current likelihood of coming? when do you find out for sure?